Friday, December 01, 2006

Energy Solutions Arena? We Don't Think So

Even if the Utah Jazz are in the same NBA division as the Trail Blazers, I still hadn't heard about the name change for the arena that the Jazz play in. The Delta Center was a good name, at least there was the possible non-corporate linkage in it due to the location of the venue. But the Energy Solutions Arena? I'm sure that the people who run these companies and then go out and spend a wad of cash for the naming rights to the local stadium are well-meaning, but even in these cynical days of Americans who've seen or heard it all (they would like to think), even that is an awkward moniker that creates a negative impression. In this case, I would think of a small-ish company trying to create a splash for itself; I mean, at least I'd heard of Target, United, and Dunkin' Donuts before. I hear that name, and I can honestly say that my interest to learn more about the company has not been increased. I know, small things in the grand scheme, but.........it still sounds awful.


At least the good people of Salt Lake City are making a concerted effort to rebuff the name change.




SLC PETITION

No comments: