Thursday, December 28, 2006

7 Is Not The Lucky Number For Mets, Zito

Yes, it was disappointing to hear that Barry Zito had signed a 7-year, $126 million dollar contract with the San Francisco Giants this afternoon. It seemed like the major item of contention between the free-agent pitcher and the Mets was the length of the contract, apparently Zito and agent Scott Boras were absolutely determined not to settle for a contract length less than seven years, while it appears that the tops that the Mets were willing to go was five.


Given that Omar Minaya's done a heckuva job assembling last year's National League East division champs, I'm inclined to agree with his reasoning for not pushing the lengthy issue with Zito and Boras, story linked below. A guaranteed seven years is a lot for anybody, especially a pitcher, so we'll see how Zito's health remains out in the Bay Area. I'm not saying this just to make myself feel better, but I honestly don't think the addition of Zito to the Giants will automatically make them the favourite to even win their division. Yes, I'm gonna keep saying that to myself until I'm proved wrong, of that you can be certain.



ZITO

No comments: