Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"Manos" The Hands Of Fate


I'm always pleased to revisit things that've brought me pleasure and entertainment in the past (it's definitely a bonus if they still bring me the same joy years later). Having been a MST3K fan for over a decade (I think it appeared on the Salem-area cable somewhere in their season two, which is when I became aware of it via Comedy Central of course), I came across this article detailing the "plot" of one of the worst movies ever to be panned by Joel and the bots.


There is a statement by the author, drawn by the views from some of his friends, that that particular episode of MST3K, which he hasn't seen, wasn't a particularly funny one, but I think that it is indeed some good work by the SOL crew, though the author is right when it comes down, as always, to a matter of personal taste. Personally, I'd always been drawn in by the awfulness of the film, which is one reason I've watched that episode several times, but as Mary Jo Pehl notes in the Episode Guide book, it definitely wasn't easy work. This movie was like watching a train wreck----we couldn't bear to watch it but we couldn't look away. There were many times during the writing process when we simply couldn't make comments, so caught up in the wretchedness of this movie were we.


Both versions of the movie are available via Amazon and other retailers, but if you've never seen "Manos", check out the I-Mockery link for the full rundown. The other two links are for more history and MST views of the movie.



I-MOCKERY



MANOS


AGONY BOOTH

No comments: