Friday, April 06, 2007

Tim Buckley Dolphins

Count me as a person whose purchases of music magazines is mostly limited to Mojo (there are a number of others I buy from time to time, but those all depend on the content of the issue: these include The Wire, Big Takeover, Harp, Uncut, etc.). A selling point of a lot of magazines these days include a CD of various styles. Some are monthly compendiums of new releases, others are themes, and some are compilations chosen by an artist.


Even though it was issued with the November 2003 issue of Uncut, I'd rarely given R.E.M.'s compilation steady listening time. I may have grown a bit bored with the band's music of late, but it's hard to disagree with their varied taste in music, I don't wanna hear the same stuff over and over. So it was that I grabbed the disc out of the stand for listening to whilst driving, lingering on some songs, fast forwarding others............til I came upon the live version of Dolphins by Tim Buckley, a cover written by Fred Neil. A bit of irony here in that there are some people who were introduced to Tim's music through a cover of one of his songs: Song To The Siren as done by This Mortal Coil. (Not going into the aspect of being Jeff's dad).


Anyway, I was stunned by the tone of the voice and the exquisite music that was swirling around the melancholic lyrics........and I kept hitting the 'repeat' button. (Being stuck in traffic, sitting still, also helped me to focus on the song). At any rate, here's a live clip of Tim singing Dolphins on YouTube, posted by one pincfloit; I thank him many times over for this gem, though this version is a couple of minutes shorter than the one on the R.E.M. disc.

No comments: