Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rating The State Quarters: Ours Is Better Than Yours

An article in today's Seattle P-I rating the artistic achievements of the quarters that the U.S. Mint has issued to honor every state in this union. Always great to see local homerism shining through, but I do believe that in this case, the critic is right, generally. (Washington over Oregon.....NEVER!).


One thing I noticed is that the best designs on this list do NOT have a graphic of the relevant state, which I agree with. Looking at her Out Of The Running section, there are a couple of quarters I'd have trouble associating with the image if not for the state graphic in the background somewhere, Pennsylvania for one. Also, I don't think that New York or Illinois needed more than the Statue Of Liberty or Abraham Lincoln to enhance their design.......but then I live west of the Mississippi, so what do I know? I'm sure a lot of people back east have no concept of Crater Lake.


Anyway, the rest of the artistic critique is HERE

No comments: