Friday, April 20, 2007

Red Light Red Light....Run It

"......there ain't nobody watching........run it!". Thank you to Paul Westerberg for that lyrical gem over twenty years ago, but that won't be the case in Albany any more, what with the location of the first red-light camera being announced today.


Said intersection to have cameras installed will be the eastbound Ninth and Geary route as well as northbound Geary at Ninth. Apparently there are lots of scofflaws who routinely make a California roll through a red light, without a full stop, so a plan has been implemented for the safety of us all. As one who drives for a living in a commercial vehicle, it's a nice to see such a help, all too often I watch these cars making improper turns and it drives me nuts, I know for damn well that someone would call our boss and tell him about our driving. For the record, such a thing did happen at that intersection, but it was on the first day of the new intersection, east bound, when people could either continue left on Pacific in the far left, or right and go to the Santiam Highway. I was in the second lane from the left, by Walgreens, when a lady in the lane to my right, bound for the Santiam road, decided that the Pacific lane was where she should be, and how rude of me to be in her way. It was only a couple of minutes later when I got the phone call, and everybody had a good laugh when I told them exactly what had happened, they were almost expecting such a thing. Luckily, things have quieted down on that particular road. However, it's the westbound traffic where Pacific and Santiam meet that need some more attention.......



In the article, it doesn't mention any cameras for the southbound Geary lanes, the ones coming from downtown, even though I've seen lots of people running that one. A bit odd, but I guess the numbers from the test show that there aren't enough of those to justify one.


RED LIGHT

No comments: