Saturday, June 23, 2007

Shed No Tears: Au Revoir Henry, From The Arse To Barca

Much as I admire Thierry Henry's skills , the news of his departure to play for Barcelona in Spain will be no cause for grief, at least in most quarters outside of a certain area in North London, as well as their fanbase.


Knowing that he could no longer win the Premiership and CL titles in London were the big reasons that the Frenchman decided to seek greener pastures in Catalonia, with the possibility that coach Arsene Wenger may soon follow him to the south as soon as his current contract expires at the end of the next season.


The bandwagon effect of all the U.S. soccer fans I've met around who are fans of the Arse has always gotten on my nerves a bit: would they be fans if they weren't on top? I have admitted to becoming a fan of MLB's New York Mets because they were champions, but I have kept the faith in my long-distance fandom all of these years, through thick and thin, now is the time for those Arse fans around here, like the ones I met at the Sports Park, to do the same. I do offer sympathies to the long-time Arsenal fans I've met though, it can't be easy in a time like this when a star the magnitude of Henry decides he must play elsewhere


A reason for some tempering of unbridled joy at the news of Henry's departure here is that Dimitar Berbatov next year could possibly be open to leaving Spurs if they fail to advance in his search for European glory. For now, the declines in fortune for those usurpers might well be the advantage that Spurs need to help consolidate the advances that have occurred under Martin Jol the last two years. Fcuk Arse.....come on you Spurs! ( as well as Real Madrid!)





WENGER'S FUTURE?


I'M GOING TO SPAIN

No comments: