Thursday, June 07, 2007

Eddie Kunz Is A Met

Congratulations to the Oregon State's Eddie Kunz for being selected by my favourite Major League Baseball team in the first round of the 2007 MLB draft, with the 42nd pick. I could be like a few knuckleheads I know and wish that any athlete from the rival school fails miserably (or winds up in Tampa Bay, possibly the same thing)....but I won't, hoping that the Mets see something that they, or some other team, could use in the not-too distant future.


Only time will tell in that aspect, I recall watching a very young Mike Piazza with the Salem Dodgers thinking that he might possibly end up with nothing more than maybe a couple of cups of coffee with the parent club. (Of course, everyone was drooling over a Bellingham Mariners outfielder by the name of Griffey, Jr. about the same time).


My father, a Cardinals and OSU fan, called me up to congratulate me for the Mets having such good taste.


Also, even though Oregon has not fielded a college baseball team for about 20 years, according to Baseball Reference.com, they have still placed more players in the big league than OSU. For what that's worth.





NY METS STORY



BASEBALL REFERENCE







LIVE UPDATE: Against the Phillies Cole Hamels, Carlos Delgado, David Wright and Paul LoDuca have hit three consecutive home runs to give the Mets a 3-2 lead after six innings. Gary Cohen tells us it's the seventh time in Mets history, the last time being in April 1989, also against the Phillies, with Darryl Strawberry, Kevin McReynolds, and Keith Hernanadez getting the hits.

No comments: