Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Joy (And Cost) Of Text

6,807 text messages in one month, an average of well over 200 per day. As the song by William Shatner and Henry Rollins goes, "I can't get behind that", especially when the total bill comes to over $1,100.



Texting is useful in situations where a phone call may not be appropriate, but even I have to say that much of what I, or others I know, have texted in the past could've easily waited a few minutes, or a couple of hours, or until the next day, for "normal" face to face communication.


It has affected some of my coworkers at times, the younger ones especially, when I feel they are more interested in the messages rather than the job at hand, which can be annoying. Not quite sure how the schools deal with the situation of text messages these days, and the whole texting-while-driving scenario is a truly dangerous distraction that's a post unto itself.



The story behind the big text numbers cited at the beginng, from a Washington, D.C. teenager, from today's WASHINGTON POST.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some quick math to put it in perspective. :-) Assuming she spends 8 hours a day sleeping, eating, etc. leaving 16/day -- she is STILL sending an average of 14 messages per hour for 16 hrs a day for 30 days a month. Incredible amount of info x-fer for trivial information. Oh well as long as she can become a productive component of the work force in years to come.

Allan said...

thank you for the additional math, my mental abacus wasn't sharp enough when I was trying to comprehend those numbers initially.....:)