Monday, May 14, 2007

Beat On The Bat: The Life Of A Baseball Bat With The Twins

Much as I enjoyed watching the Beavers on Sunday, the ping of a metal bat as a ball is hit is still a distraction in my mind. Call me a purist, hearkening back to the days as a kid learning the game, but the solid crack of a wooden bat on a ball brings me a moment where I where I sit up and take notice of where the ball is heading. That's not to say I don't follow the ball, once hit, in college baseball, it's just the preference for the wooden type of bat is so deeply rooted that I don't think it will ever be changed. Of course, in conversations with others on the subject, the cost factor of metal vs. wood has to be a big consideration for schools, especially when the total life span of a wooden bat is regarded. Today's StarTribune ran a story on the life of a bat in the major leagues, as well as some of the thoughts and practices that the players on the home town Twins make when choosing one before they head out to the batter's box. The story is HERE.

No comments: