Sunday, January 04, 2009

Andrew Meinert, R.I.P.

Deepest sympathies to the Meinert family for their loss on the 30th of December during Oregon/Oklahoma State Holiday Bowl, a loss that is the passing of their youngest son Andrew from an especially aggressive form of cancer.


In this world full of injustices, it's not right that innocent people suffer from horrible maladies, and the fact that this scourge has been unleashed on a couple of the finest people it has been my pleasure to meet and chat with over the years (Andrew's parents sit directly in front of me at Autzen for Duck football games, I've been in this section for over a decade and I must emphatically state that they're among the reasons I have no desire to improve my seat location.)



With every passing calendar year, it's become an assumption that those of us in our section will see each other next fall, when football resumes and we can continue our silly obessions. Andrew's passing is a stark reminder that we should all not automatically assume that these things will come to pass, Andrew sometimes sat in those seats in front of me when his mother or father could not make the games for various reasons, and whatever collective enjoyment we got from rooting the Ducks on to victory on those days doesn't even begin to address the sorrow that the Meinert family is feeling on such a sorrowful occasion.



George Schroeder of the Eugene Register-Guard has written a couple of articles concerning Andrew and his brief encounter with his favourite Duck player, Walter Thurmond III, who made a surprise visit to Newbert to visit the stricken kid, along with Patrick Chung, the first of which is HERE and recounts the events surrounding that visit. The second story is from TODAY and tells of Andrew's passing away during the Holiday Bowl; it was good to know that at least Andrew got to hear about Walter Thurmond III's momentum changing kick-off return to start the second half for the Ducks.



All I know for sure is that when the 2009 Oregon football season rolls around, it's going to be a little tough to acknowledge the loss of a loved one, but as Mark and Anne already know, the people in our section care about them very, very much. God bless you Meinerts, see you soon...............and Let's Go Ducks!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

I fool read a only one of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I unqualifiedly like your line of blogging. I added it to my favorites web page roster and disposition be checking assist soon. Divert repress in view my put as well and vindicate me conscious what you think. Thanks.

Jamie Stram said...

Andrew was one of my childhood friends. Some of the earliest memories I have in my life were of times that I spent playing with him at his house. Even though it's been 2 years since his death I still think of him from time to time, and it's hard to believe he's gone. I want everyone who reads this to know that Andrew was a very caring and good person and he made a positive difference in the lives of others around him. He will always be remembered by my me, as well as my family. His illness is something that never should have happened to a guy like him; and it is a tragedy that he had to die so young when he had so much ahead of him. I know I'll see him again in heaven, and my prayers and best wishes are to his family. It's been 2 years, but his memory lives on; I haven't forgotten about him and I never will. Rest in peace Andrew, everyone still loves and cares about you.