Monday, October 01, 2007

Goodbye To The Tube

Maybe I'll date myself and announce that I do like to watch music videos periodically (or at least have the television on as background noise while I go about my business), but it was still a bit sad to see that The Tube (Channel 303 on Comcast) ceased operations today.



It's no use complaining too much about the ever-changing way in which people consume music and videos these days. Services such as YouTube, or perhaps the official site of any artist, or maybe the video channel on Winamp have emerged as the new vehicles to see something in particular. As these choices were more about what the viewer wants, rather than the airer, such a fate was probably predictable; I'll still miss the randomness of the playlist programmed by something other than me, which might even necessitate the changing of the channel briefly when something odious aired.


Of course, making money, or at least breaking even (I've seen a post elsewhere that reported that the Tube was losing money hand over fist), would've been nice as well, but as television is indeed a business, there comes a time when one has to pull the plug.



THE TUBE

No comments: