Friday, August 10, 2007

Tony Wilson, R.I.P.

Honestly don't know where my musical tastes might've gone if, back in 1979, a friend of mine hadn't played me a new import single he'd bought entitled "Transmission" by a group called Joy Division. To say I was similarly stunned and enthralled is a fair description. At any rate, one of the men responsible for that record, and quite a collection of other top tunes, passed away today from a heart attack, at the age of 57.


Most music fans know his (and the Factory) story....television presenter, Factory Records, Russel Club, suicide, New Order, Hacienda, Happy Mondays, drugs, guns, bankruptcy, 24 Hour Party People, etc. so I won't bother with all of that, but this is sad news to take after hearing how his battle with his kidney cancer had been going (not well).



Not everything his record companies released was wonderful, in fact there was a fair amount of dross mixed in with the gems, but the best of the catalog is an excellent testimony to a certain place and time that won't be repeated. Thank you for the music Tony, R.I.P.






M.E.N. STORY

No comments: