Monday, May 18, 2009

Don't Be Afraid Of The Remake (For The Most Part)

Maybe it was because my aunt did double duty on a date once by babysitting my brother and I at the drive-in for a double feature of The Conqueror Worm and The Masque of the Red Death with no discernible harm to our young psyches. Certainly watching Night Of The Hunter whilst my age was still in single digits didn't deter me from trusting adults either. However, the one movie/television event that left me shaken and scared was the 1973 program Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark; the tension created by the noises from the demonic creatures that lived under the house was truly terrifying; the fact that our baby-sitters let us watch the program and were then not malicious enough to try and scare the wits out of us kids afterward is still something I marvel at to this day.



In today's Los Angeles Times I came across a story debating the FUTURE OF MIRAMAX FILMS WITH DISNEY there was a paragraph about the upcoming remake of that classic show, starring Katie Holmes and produced by Guillermo del Toro. That second factor is enough to assure me that this will be a worthwhile project, though I am certainly proud of the fact that I have not directly paid one cent to see a movie with Mrs. Cruise, something that will probably change with this one.



Thanks once again to Youtube for allowing people like SciFiPilots to post sections of the original online, where people all across the country can watch it again and make comments such as "This movie scared the CRAP outta me when I was a kid!. In this clip, the heroine begins to tamper with things that she was warned against doing in her dream house.





No comments: