Saturday, March 17, 2007

Jury Duty Calls: It's My Responsibility

I really did get my jury duty notice, for the city, on Thursday the 15th, for the second time of my life, the first was back in the early 80's. I've also registered for the federal jury pool a few years ago, but I'd never heard anything since. I was also called upon, when living in Salem, to serve on the jury for the case in the murder of Michael Francke, the Oregon director for the Department Of Corrections. Very bad timing had me handing in a request to be excused (just started a new term of school, no one could replace me at work without hardship, etc.)


Gonna let the juvenile aspect of my character take over for a second and hope that any of the upcoming cases that I may get called to serve upon might be like the one down in New Zealand, whereupon a female solicitor gave testimony to the court topless, in a case involving a man and some apparently inappropriate touches during a massage. The full story of this case is HERE.



I'll grow up again and say that honestly that it really wouldn't be that big of a deal; this lady did what she had to do, no more and no less, and any kind of reaction other than that is just wide of the mark of recognizing some of the tricker aspects in the relationships between men and women.



No artists rendering of the courtroom action have yet surfaced, and the defense attorney has promised the lady that "....we can promise you it won't appear on YouTube," given that her testimony was videoed for testimonial purposes.

No comments: